Sunday, September 23, 2012

Memories of High School

Today, I found myself reminiscing upon old high school memories, to the point of unearthing my dreaded high school yearbooks. First loves, old friends, and good times bubbled out of my memories unwanted and unbidden; I've NEVER done that before. I have resolutely hated (edit: resolutely hate) high school with a passion for so long that I must've repressed all but the most defining and embarrassing moments, mostly inherent mistakes, boasting abilities I thought I possessed, and numerous idiotic after-the-moment-has-passed realizations of high school puppy-love, and of course being "spaz-tastic." I was so stupid (and in many ways, still am), and it was such a reminder of all my many mistakes, misfortunes, miscalculations, misses, and plain old embarrassments that I simply attended college for my senior year, and never looked back until now. Some of those old friends I've been able to get in touch with, while others still remain amidst background radiation of ancient memory, never gone, but always fading. I never thought I'd say this, but finally, I admit that there's a great deal of high school that I miss, and I frankly regret skipping through my senior year. But, now that I've admitted that, I can put it all away and move on, because that's what I do.

No comments: